Feb 10, 2012

Airborn (by Kenneth Oppel)

Airships, sky pirates, and fantastical journeys; I've always been in the mood for unconventional flight in the air.

I've kicked off the month with a fresh book, Airborn by Kenneth Oppel. From what I've started on and also from some quick skimming online, it's based around an Earth on which airships are the primary source of transportation. With this includes the story of Matt Cruse on one of these ships, the Aurora. There's tragedy with death, mystery with disbelief, and thrill with floating ships.

A friend of mine randomly stuck this book into my face and I took a second to glance at the cover. I instantly knew what the story would include. I walked around for a few moments in the library and I asked if anybody had already read it, and to that, they'd always answer that it was uproarious (or just fun). So let's take a crack at it.

Kenneth Oppel, other than writing Airborn, also wrote the Silverwing Trilogy, Colin's Fantastic Video Adventure, and This Dark Endeavor: The Apprenticeship of Victor Frankenstein. Surprisingly, his first book was published after being read by Roald Dahl and passed on to his publisher. It was also about a teenage boy's addiction to videogames, which was a fun tidbit to hear. Oppel spent three years at Oxford while doing doctoral studies in Shakespeare.

Stories about worlds that are so close to ours except for minor details are the most enjoyable for me. Airships being used rather than airplanes, fictional hydrium gas which is lighter than hydrogen, and creatures that fly about in the sky. It's piracy and sailing in the sky, and there's nothing more exciting than this age old twist! I'm also hoping to figure out what my buds find so greatly awesome about this tale. Though I'm told the next two books in the series drag on a bit, so we'll see.

No comments:

Post a Comment

Send a delightful comment!