Feb 3, 2012

This is Why I Love "Remember the Milk"

"Don't forget the milk! Pardon? Oh no!"

I was on the phone with my Mother and I had obviously missed the deadline. She was out of checkout and on her dandy way home. And so, regrettably I didn't have a delectable bowl of cereal the next morning.

For my school life, along with most of my personal reminders, I use Remember the Milk. It's another task manager (which there are a sea of these days) that I've come to love. Because first, I can view all the tasks I have left on my phone. And this is awesomely useful whenever I don't want to open up my computer. And second, because it's also on the web, rather than just an App on my Mac. Again, useful for finding out what I need to do wherever I can get a web connection.

Previously, I'd been really fond of The Hit List App on my Mac. You can read about that too!

Remember the Milk (which is also referred to as RTM) is also really easy to use. Honestly, it looks incredibly complicated and convoluted. But then, look at this simple bar.


With this bar, you can type in your tasks. You can keep it simple and just type in your task: "Finish reading the history textbook pg. 240-249". And tada, voila, there you go!




Okay, okay, that's great. But for me, it's not enough to keep me organized. Remember the Milk has something called Smart Add that lets you add more info to what you type in. This includes due date, how important it is, tags (which can be used for things like which class something is for), and more.

If I type in "#history Finish reading the history textbook pg. 240-249 ^25th !1", I get this.



That's much better. And it's not that hard to do once you get used to it. Of course, you don't need to do all that, but it's really convenient and allows you to quickly jot down anything (from getting milk to building a spaceship). In this task, I can see what it's about, the priority is #1, it's for history class, and that it's due this Wednesday. Add a bunch of these, and you've got a functional list.


Think of the infinite possibilities! ... for a task list. If you're not willing to learn all that complex mumbo jumbo, on the right side of the screen, there's an info box that you can fill out and manipulate. See!--it's pack full of joy and splendor.

You can also set up multiple lists (as shown up above with Inbox, Clubs, Homework, etc.) that can hold different tasks within them.

In the end, Remember the Milk is incredibly simple or intricate, but it's easy to use. Keep it minimal and keep a list of your daily tasks, or go more in-depth and optimize your school life. It's free, with a "pro" option which adds a couple of extra doodads, and registering an account is just as simple as adding a task. Try it out, I really do suggest it.

No comments:

Post a Comment

Send a delightful comment!