Feb 24, 2012

Quick List of Apps

From an old white one to a brand-spanking new MacBook Pro, there isn't much that I don't understand how to do on this computer. And now, four years later, I've got a hefty collection of applications that conveniently help me get through the day. Here's a quick list of a few free ones that you might find useful.

F.lux
F.lux uses your timezone to control the tint of your screen.
If you stare at your screen all day for work or for play, you'll notice a blue tint that emanates from your bright display. This is meant to replicate the sun, which of course, you don't want to stare at at nighttime. The purpose of f.lux is to change this glow during nighttime to a softer orange in order to ease the strain on your eyes. While the tint at first may be noticeable, you'll become accustomed to it within a couple of days and you'll wonder how you lived without it.

Now, I can disable it for a moment when it's active and a terrifying blue glow shoots directly into my eyes! Augh, nobody wants that.

Day-O
Add a calendar to your Mac's time menu bar item
If you're on a Mac, then go ahead an click on your time icon in your menu bar (at the top left, near the spotlight icon). And poof! Well that's a bit disappointing. Wouldn't you rather see a calendar in place of that boring menu? Day-O does just that. Now, you get a small calendar icon next to the current time and day, along with an actual calendar that pops open whenever you click on the menu bar item. It's a quick and easy way for me to plan out future dates, and actually see what day an event is. Easy, simple, and quick.

Caffeine
Third icon from the right is Caffeine.
Caffeine is another very simple menu bar application that has one simple function: stop your screen from locking or going into your screen saver. Now when would this be useful? Surprisingly, the option to have rapid access to the auto-lock on your computer is very useful. Pop it on and your computer's screen just stays on until you close it or turn it off. Flip it off again and then your computer locks up normally in order to keep everything safe.

Here's a simple way I use it. During a lecture in class, I'm looking up at a screen or a teacher, and then back down to take notes. And at times, I'm just looking up without paying attention to my computer. But this leads me to the situation in which my computer automatically locks up and I have to wait for the screen to turn on again and everything to slowly load back. This is where Caffeine can help!


All three of these apps are little tools that keep out of the way and perform their functions phenomenally. Try one out, or all of them if you've found them useful. All are free, so don't worry about paying a cent.

2 comments:

  1. Hi Andrew! I just started using Day-O and it's really convenient! How did you find all these cool apps?
    -Soyoon K

    ReplyDelete
  2. I've found one now and then every once in a while, and now I have a giant list of them. I have plenty more to share, so look out for those if you're interested!

    ReplyDelete

Send a delightful comment!